« The changing face of learning & development (70:20:10)"Developing a learning ecosystem" - Google's Sudhir Giri at ALT-C 2010 »

14 comments

Comment from: Doug Belshaw [Visitor]
Doug Belshaw

I agree, Mark. We’ve accepted politicians’ lazy rhetoric about the inherent good of competition in everything from the NHS to schools for too long.

09/02/11 @ 09:53
Comment from: Nicolás Villena [Visitor]
Nicolás Villena

I think that’s its real purpose. Somehow we distorted that between 250 years ago and today.

But I am hopeful that education (or maybe the word is schooling) will balance itself. Where is the equilibrium? Somewhere between what the economy needs and the needs of the individual.

Helping the individual reach his potential and, at the same time, helping him create something. Bringing his potential to reality in a form that can be of value to people.

Maybe, just maybe.

09/02/11 @ 11:51
Comment from: Eugene Spiers [Visitor]
Eugene Spiers

Competitions always have losers. I know a school that has sent letters to parents about their ‘underachieving’ children who just got A’s or B’s on a report but were predicted/targeted higher!? High achieving students who feel like losers by the age of 14. Madness.

09/02/11 @ 12:19
Comment from: Christine Clifford [Visitor]
Christine Clifford

Agree with this completely. My own journey from poor family into the sausage machine, into teaching and then out into community work with adults and families antagonistic to the machine that spits then out as rejects.
The machine that was ok for my bright child but left my difficult child unprepared for the rejection our society has ready for the educational rejects.

09/02/11 @ 14:55
Comment from: deang groom [Visitor]
deang groom

“Classrooms, like sausages, cease to inspire respect in proportion as we know how they are made” … enjoyed it.

10/02/11 @ 07:14
Comment from: Andrew Old [Visitor]
Andrew Old

So to sum up, you want the education system to make people feel how you think they should feel?

I think I’d rather go through the sausage-factory, thanks.

12/03/11 @ 20:38
Comment from: berthelemy [Member]
Mark

@Andrew, reading your blog, I think we’re probably more aligned in our thinking that you might suppose. But I’d be interested to understand what it is about my post that has upset you?

13/03/11 @ 18:11
Comment from: oldandrew [Visitor]
oldandrew

I’m not upset. Why does everything come down to feelings with you?

I’m just pointing out that “encouraging", “accepting", expressing feelings, “dealing” with hurt and having compassion are all about how people feel. I’m making the obvious point that for a lot of people, myself included, having an agency of the state (in this case the education system) whose purpose is to regulate our feelings is actually far more sinister than the sausage-factory imagery or the risk of having one’s “creativity” stifled.

14/03/11 @ 09:46
Comment from: berthelemy [Member]
Mark

@Andrew,

Perhaps “upset” was the wrong word.

But there’s no way that I’m advocating the states “regulates our feelings". Apart from being impossible, I don’t believe that would be at all ethical.

But education is far more than just knowledge or skills. It’s also about developing behaviours that help us live and work together. It’s not about being compliant, more about being aware of the consequences of our actions on ourselves and on others.

I wouldn’t have said this is all to do with feelings though…

15/03/11 @ 11:29
Comment from: Robin Piggott [Visitor]
Robin Piggott

The purpose of education is to guide human beings to achieve the basic life goals, which is to exist, multiply and act positively in caring for the environment and contributing to the society.

Education is more than schooling and is the process of dispelling human ignorance of the world as well as developing the inherent potential for perfection. Every human being without exception is seeking for happiness in life and has the inherent potential to live happily. Also, the resources needed to attain happiness in life are in the world. Unfortunately, human beings lack a clear understanding of how to development his/her potential as well as utilize the resources in the world to attain happiness in life. The purpose of education is therefore to develop our potential and to guide us to understand the resources in the world as well as utilize our potentials and the resources to attain happiness in life.

13/12/11 @ 09:00
Comment from: amari [Visitor]
amari

i like this article it gives us a good reason to get out kids a better understanding !!

02/03/12 @ 17:36
Comment from: jordan [Visitor]
jordan

how do you apply the question what is the purpose of education ? into a structured essay argument . it is actually impossible and my essay isn’t going very well as i don’t know what approaches to focus on as ive never studied the subject till now :(……. nightmare

08/05/12 @ 16:27
Comment from: berthelemy [Member]
Mark

@Jordan. Take a look at http://purposed.org.uk/ - there are a lot of good starting points for your essay. You could think about who education is for? Eg. Society or the individual. And is it about developing individual potential, or providing a workforce?

09/05/12 @ 08:47
Comment from: allison [Visitor]
allison

ths article z somthng since it direct parentz toward the provision of education to their childrens,not only that but stil it show the need of school to the society..i don have a kid but i believe when i get 1 i’ll him/her the knwledge of life.

01/12/12 @ 14:31

This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation...

Contact. ©2014 by Mark Berthelemy. blog software / hosting / monetize blog.
Design & icons by N.Design Studio. Skin by Tender Feelings / EvoFactory.