« Departmental roles in the Learning OrganisationWhen to use rapid elearning - the Powerpoint legacy »

8 comments

Comment from: Simon [Visitor]
Simon

Mark,

Interesting - I’m working with the GB energy suppliers on smart metering, and we’ve specifically looked at wireless co-existence, but that was looking at technology options that aren’t even featuring in the meters being installed at the moment.

Are you sure it is your meter that is responsible for the new SSID? Any chance of a neighbour or local business muscling in on your airspace?

As I understand it, these pilot meters (it’s probably an AMPY meter) are using 433MHz or 868MHz for wireless communication to the counter top gizmo you should also have received, whilst WiFi operates as 2.4GHz. Theoretically, your laptop shouldn’t be aware of the wireless signal from the meter.

Having said all that, you may have some new super whizzy meter - they’re testing a few options in the current trials. Rest assured, the work we’re doing on the low power radio options for mass roll out will include the necessary safeguards to prevent this kind of thing happening too often. Wireless networks are notoriously fragile and fiddly things for the non-tech type, and the last thing we need is for smart meters to make them worse.

27/05/08 @ 15:26
Comment from: berthelemy [Member]
Mark

Hi Simon,

The new SSID appeared (along with the dropped connections) as soon as the power was switched back on to the house (after about 15 minutes off power). So I’m reasonably confident it was something to do with the new meter.

The counter top meter is from AMPY, so I’m assuming the main meters are from there as well.

It turns out that the gas meter (which also communicates wirelessly) has registered a fault and is going to be replaced. I’m wondering whether this may have something to do with the wireless problems.

28/05/08 @ 17:29
Comment from: IT Guy [Visitor]
IT Guy

I just wanted to point out that “2Wire” are / were the main broadband router manufacture of choice for British Telecom and by default a lot of geniune wireless broadband routers use an SSID (network name) that contains the text “2Wire”

13/06/08 @ 19:54
Comment from: berthelemy [Member]
Mark

Ah - that makes sense. I’m not sure where it came from though, as it’s not broadcasting the SSID. It just appeared in my preferred list.

Very strange.

13/06/08 @ 20:22
Comment from: Eddie [Visitor]
Eddie

The EON meter you are referring to has a built in sim card and is powered by O2, so nothing at all to do with wireless networks.

30/07/08 @ 21:20
Comment from: smartmeters.com [Visitor]
smartmeters.com

Probably Just an odd coincidence

15/11/08 @ 00:32
Comment from: wolfmanrtcw [Visitor]
wolfmanrtcw

Since we had a smart meter installed here in Ontario Canada my media server (dsm 750) was lagging so bad it was freezing on everything. I was at first mad thinking because they didn’t warn us it was happening that they damaged the server. I also did all the rebooting but also started thinking maybe this thing is broadcasting a wireless signal. After changing my N router dir 655 off of channel 6 2.437 GHz to channel 11 2.462 GHz it fixed the problem. What a relief

17/01/10 @ 17:57
Comment from: Kref Lampost [Visitor]
Kref Lampost

Tireless wireless eh? Your SSID is guffooned, either that or your Broadcom chipset has gazzered. Have you tried halibut gonzo wiggywaggy yet? Zork!

31/08/11 @ 22:26
Contact. ©2014 by Mark Berthelemy. blog tool / UK web hosting / authors.
Design & icons by N.Design Studio. Skin by Tender Feelings / Skin Faktory.